Shop Cast Saws
What is a cast saw?
A cast saw is a handheld, medical-grade device designed to remove cured plaster or fiberglass bandage from tissue without causing pain to the patient. The saw vibrates a typically small, round, toothed blade very quickly to disintegrate the cast material without irritating the skin below.
How to choose a cast saw
Here are some important factors when choosing a cast saw
- Consider your patient: Pediatric saws tend to be quieter and are less menacing
- Consider the frequency of use: Less expensive saws are typically lower duty rating and will wear out more quickly.
- Consider the work area: A saw handset only may be more portable; A unit with vacuum may be required in a hospital setting for dust collection.
- Consider the work environment: A loud saw or vacuum may interrupt others. Check the db output levels of each unit.
- Consider the technician: A bulky, heavy saw may offer more power, but be more difficult for some users to handle.
Can a cast saw be used to cut other materials?
Cast saws are unique in that they do not have a rotating blade. This may offer advantages in cutting many other types of materials. Cast saws can be used to cut sheets of plastic, small diameter tubings, and even concrete—when used with the correct blades.
Cast saws are used by qualified, trained technicians to remove plaster and fiberglass casts from the patient. By the nature of their design, they can be quite intimidating to patients, especially the young. They are often loud when turned on and appear dangerous with an exposed blade visible. But, cast saws are very safe. The blade oscillates very slightly thousands of times per minute, rather than spinning continuously. Additionally, the blade teeth are very shallow and relatively dull. This results in a device that quickly and effectively removes the cast without cutting the patient.
To address the menacing sound the saws may make, we offer several brands that have reduced sound levels. While these brands are often marketed toward pediatrics keep in mind they do not suffer any loss of performance or lack of duty cycle. In particular, our Oscimed line offers some of the quietest, most powerful, and longest-lasting saws available anywhere at any price.
AtlasProSales also offers both used and refurbished saws at greatly reduced cost. Used saws are thoroughly inspected and tested and carry a 60-day money back guarantee. Refurbished saws have been rebuilt and carry a 6-month warranty.